Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Project # 2


Finished tote, minus the metal rings in the handles.  Should have added them.  Good practice, though.  Made a lot of rookie mistakes on this puppy!

Since this was strictly practice, I didn't really care if the colors matched.  I also used whatever fabric was handy ($2 remnant from Walmart) and Shar's shawl for the lining.   Originally, I cut the lining from her green prom dress, but the fabric was a horror to work with.  Stretchy green satin no bueno!  

On to Project #2: The Margarita . . . or whatever we called it. On a side note, I think we may need to rethink these names. Maybe it was our weekly meetings at Pearl Ultra Lounge that influenced us.  I can't keep them straight anymore and women might think we're lushes!  Back to the project . . . 

One of my favorites.  The ???

I needed to freehand the ruffle since the seamstress forgot to include it with the pattern before she left for Hungary.  Oh well, it gave me an excuse to use the French curves.  I knew I didn't buy them for nothing!

Celadon green shell and turquoise lining.

Yes, I know the patterns may be funky together, but trust me, the colors work!  Just one more thing to do before stitching everything together . . . attaching the interfacing.

Hello Kitty has seen better days.

This part truly sucks.  Stupid iron leaks EVERYTIME and I burnt my thumb in the process.  I'm surprised I didn't get electrocuted!  Nonetheless, this is an important step and a very crucial element to the bag. If there's anything I learned in the handbag making biz, it's that a bag needs a supporting structure and you can't skimp on interfacing/interlining.  After that whole mess, I sewed pieces of the handle and pinned the lining together.

Rattan handle ready to be attached

Where I left off last night and where I'll begin today.  

Hopefully I'll have a finished bag to show off this evening.  I'll try to hold off on early celebrations.

No comments: